Thursday, February 20, 2014

Loaded PB and J's

I don't know if you've ever had a loaded pb and j before. 
It's pretty good.
My grandma, who is a bit of a food addict, was my caretaker when I was a kid. She did everything that needed to be done when it came to my brother and I, including cook and food prep. She'd make monstrous burgers, salmon patties, and occasional a pb and j. But her's weren't just a slap of peanut butter and a slap of jam...

Her's were LOADED.
By this, I mean she'd smear peanut butter on both slices of bread and then fill them with jam. 
Of course the jam would just ooze out anyway... 
She reasoned this by saying the peanut butter sealed in the jam and as a child it made sense to me.

It wasn't until adulthood that I realized this was not the norm. 
I got many strange looks when I would make my sandwiches at our local institute of religion.
I never really figured out why...
Only later in life did I realize she was a bit of a food addict and so this was a way to throw in more calories and sugar, but I digress...

Anyway, today I kept D home from school.
I needed a break from carpool and driving and cramming things around a pre-set schedule that simply doesn't jive with our day-to-day (nap time is torture now!).
So I've cleaned, they have played, D has painted, I've finished a grocery list in hopes of braving the stores with the kids alone on this 14 hour work day for Mr. Spin, and then D decided he wanted a pb and j.

So, I made them loaded. 

The end.
:)

PS: It was confirmed yesterday that it is a boy. 
The doctor is concerned. 
She's hopeful but...I'm a high risk momma {for miscarriage, pre-term labor, pre-term membrane abruption (which means basically means we're screwed if that one happens)}. 
I kind of didn't realize how big of a deal it was until I asked her what the prognosis is.
 Mr. Spin and I have decided to just move forward with life in general.
We're done with the bummer party.
So adios 'what ifs' and 'should haves' and 'why cants'.

And now it's nap time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment