Monday, November 4, 2013

Totally Did It

So we did it.
Today was the first day of school.
And the little one went.
And it felt right.

It helped obviously that we visited last week, of course.
After last time I think both I and Mr. Spin needed to calm our jitters from the previous trauma of the school our kiddo attended prior to today's facility.
Yea, that was awful. 
I don't really want to relive that again.
Hopefully I learned my lesson so I won't have to.

I've been making a ton of mistakes lately, but at least I can say I learned from the school one.
Or so I think.
Or so I hope...
*shuddering at having to relearn this lesson*

Last night Mr. Spin and I actually had some time together to decompress. 
It was pretty awesome.
You might think I'm crazy when you read what we did, but it was what was needed in the moment.
......

Once a month we are asked to fast in our church, the first Sunday of every month, actually. 
(You can read more about our beliefs here)
Most individuals start Saturday afternoon and end Sunday afternoon for a full 24 hours and can still enjoy a nice Sunday dinner.
Well, this weekend was like most for parents. Plus I was having some pretty intense health issues...again. 
(Like I said, lots of lessons and mistakes and learning)
So come 7:00 PM Mr. Spin and I still hadn't started our fast. By about 9:00 PM I finally said, "Hey, I'm going to fast, if you want you can jump on this train with me and we can do this together or I can fly solo." We typically like to fast for things together as a family unit, but if it meant doing it alone or not at all I was just going to do it. 
Honestly, sometimes we forget with our rush and hustle of life. And I figured better late then never.

So we did it together.

Starting at 9:00 PM.

Yea....

Well, we kept our fast all day Sunday. 
I had planned to roast a chicken for dinner which sometimes takes FOR-E-VER.
When we got home from our church meetings the kids took a nap and so naturally we capitalized on the time by...
taking a nap, too. :)

This meant the chicken didn't get to start actually thawing until about 4:00 PM.
It didn't get into the oven until 6:30 PM.
Luckily we had left overs for the kids so they were content while we waited.
The kids went to bed by 8:00 PM.
Then, Mr. Urry and I got to sit down TOGETHER to break our fast and have real discussion without interruptions.

Wait, 9:00 PM Saturday to 8:00 PM Sunday?
That's only 23 hours.
But you forgot...
DAY LIGHT SAVINGS!!!
So, it actually worked out so amazingly well.
We were really blessed.

I mean, not to get all religious but, c'mon, we're talking about fasting after all. 

So, last night as I got in bed at 9:00 PM, Mr. Spin and I still spent another hour and half talking.
It. Was. Perfect.
Even though it was late and we hadn't eaten all day I felt like I had a weeks worth of good rest because we were just able to be us, together.

With that clear mindset I set my alarm for 6:15 AM.
Well, I tossed and turned all night. 
One kiddo was up for almost a full hour at 2:00 AM.
Then again at 6:00 AM before my alarm.

Well, it was the first day of school and I was determined to wake up and be a mom.
So I did.
And it wasn't hard to get moving.
Whether it was the time with the hubs or the fasting or both I felt like a legit mom again.

So I got up, got the kiddo dressed just as everyone else started to stir.
I handled breakfast.
Diapers.
Hair.
Teeth brushing.
Tuition payment.
AND we did a homeschool bible lesson before we left.
We even got some pics in before family prayer and our departure. 

This is how it should be, I feel like.
For me.
And my family.

I quit consulting for Mary Kay this week and as of January 1st, 2014 I will no longer be doing cakes for the time being (I have outstanding contracts for December).
Everytime I start to get bored or freaked about being with the kids I search for something to do outside which means more time crunched, less quality time for me, my spouse, my kids, or growth.
Yea...I'm not down for that.

But I keep making the mistake.
I hope I can remember what I've learned and just hold on through the ugly moments.

When school is out today it's lunch time and then homeschooling.
We're doing the letter sounds, courtesy of Leapfrog Learning, writing, cutting, and math (with triangle shapes).

Then maybe a brief nap? Haven't yet decided.
But today is a take it easy day for me so I can fully recover.
And it's been such a huge comfort and blessing.

Can't wait until class is out today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment