Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Parent's Worst Enemy? Expected Perfection

Well today wasn't so hot.
I tried to sleep in and for go the exercise but I had a nightmare this morning about an evening commitment I had for tonight and I was up at 6:30 AM. 
And I was STRESSED the whole rest of the day.

That's much like how I grew up. Anytime anything ever came up my mom would FREAK because of the stress. It was really hard. I understand it now. And I don't hold it against her. But I don't want to repeat that. I don't want to be that mom.

My biggest enemy I realized today is my ridiculous expectations.
R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S
I ride my kid about everything.
They can't be fast enough, they can't get this right, they can't do that right, can't they just sit there and listen? 

I think that's the biggest thing that's killing me with the homeschooling. I'm terrified I'm going to ruin them by homeschooling them. That they're going to fall behind because of my failure; because I can't keep up.

Truth is...I am ruining them. Not because I can't teach them how to write a 'Z' but because I'm not nurturing them. Everything they do is wrong. 
I need to CHILL.
And bbbbbbrrrrreeeaaatttttthhhhee.

Stable kids make smart kids- the leaders. 
Not the other way around. 

I have a lot of work to do on myself. 
But this blog helps. I'm so glad I have it.
On to tomorrow for it's a new day and I have another chance to do better.

As a side note, I went to this site and printed lots of Halloween themed work out which my kid could NOT get enough of 
(and of course, I was upset that he went through a weeks worth of work in one morning. Yeah I need to get a grip LOL).

Enjoy the Autumn weather!

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to this completely. I worry every day that I'm "ruining" my kids. And stress is my WORST enemy because I start snapping like a twig. I can't believe it when I tell it to myself, but I can see it in you; that you are an AMAZING mom and your kids are dang lucky to have a mom who cares as much as you. I freaking hate that I'm not perfect for them. HATE it! Thank goodness for 'tomorrows'.

    ReplyDelete